Suite 1435 at 555 14th St, NW
- Collaborative study on memory improvement with exercise featured as Georgia Tech News (September, 2014)
- Collaborative project on robotic rehabilitation device featured as Georgia Tech News (July, 2014)
- Cole is awarded 3rd place in Student Paper Competition at 7th World Congress of Biomechanics in Boston (July, 2014)
- Ellenor is awarded Space Grant Fellowship from Georgia Space Grant Consortium (April, 2014)
- Cole is awarded NSF Graduate Research Fellowship and Fulbright Fellowship (April, 2014)
- NSF-funded collaborative project on human-robot interaction featured as Georgia Tech News (January, 2014)
- Vasiliy defends his PhD thesis (July, 2013)
- Featured in engadget
- Featured as Facebook cover photo for IEEE Engineering in Medicine & Biology Society (EMBS) (December, 2012)
We aim to identify the neural/mechanical interventions and underlying mechanisms for improving motor skills and facilitating motor learning/rehabilitation using integrative approaches. We examine neural activity, motor output (e.g., neural excitability, muscle activity , and limb/hand movement), and memory with various interventions in young and old individuals including clinical populations (e.g., amputees, stroke patients). Key words: Neuroscience, Neuroengineering, Human-Robot Interaction, Rehabilitation
Featured in GT Alumni Magazine
- Director: M. Shino Shinohara, PhD
- Visiting Professor: Atul Shekhar, MD, Armed Forces Medical College, India
- Graduate Students: Nayef Ahmar, MS; Ellenor Brown, MS
- Undergraduate Students: McLean Davies, Carla Kumbale; Summer Lee, Shivin Madivanan, Fatiesta Sulejmani; Di Wang
- Andrew Butler, PhD, PT, Georgia State University: Brain Excitability (TMS)
- Audrey Duarte, PhD, Georgia Institute of Technology: Memory
- Ryota Ishibashi, PhD, Tokyo Metropolitan University: Posture
- Motoki Kouzaki, PhD, Kyoto University, Japan
- Karim Sabra, PhD, Georgia Institute of Technology: Mechanomyogram
- Stephen Sprigle, PhD, PT, Georgia Institute of Technology: Wheelchair
- Jun Ueda, PhD, Georgia Institute of Technology: Robotics (Exoskeleton)
- Lewis Wheaton, PhD, Georgia Institute of Technology: Brain Activity (EEG, fMRI)
- Yasuhide Yoshitake, PhD, National Institute of Fitness and Sports, Japan: Ultrasound Elastography
- Former PhD students:
- Vasiliy Buharin, PhD: Signal Processing Engineer II at Boston Scientific
- Ashley Johnson, PhD:Process Controls System Engineer at Corning
Featured in Senior News
We welcome undergraduate/graduate students and research scholars in Human Neuromuscular Physiology Lab. The participation can be short, long, internship, or sabbatical stay. Research activity may include development of experimental apparatus and software (Labview or Matlab), data collection & analysis (Matlab, Labview, or SPIKE2), conference presentation, and manuscript writing. Graduate students and research scholars from other institutions/countries are also welcome. Dr. Shinohara is a program faculty for Biomedical Engineering and Bioengineering at Georgia Tech. Undergraduate students at Georgia Tech can apply for President's Undergraduate Research Awards for funding (Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program).
Neuromechanical Mechanisms for Motor Skills
- Sympathetic nerve activity and neuromotor activity
- Modulations of neuromotor oscillations
- Human-Robot interaction
- Muscle mechanical characteristics with ultrasound elastography
- Neuromuscular efficiency for free-wheelchairing
Neural Plasticity with Practice or Aging
- Improvement of human machine interaction
- Facilitation of motor learning
- Facilitation of explicit learning
- Noise and postural control in elderly adults
- 2013-2014, Center for Advanced Brain Imaging (CABI)
- 2013-2017, National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Weinberg L, Hasni A, Shinohara M, Duarte A. A single bout of resistance exercise can enhance episodic memory performance. Acta Psychologica 153:13-19, 2014.
- Taniguchi K, Shinohara M, Nozaki S, Katayose M. Acute decrease in the stiffness of resting muscle belly due to static stretching. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports, in press.
- Buharin VE, Butler AJ, Shinohara M. Motor cortical disinhibition with baroreceptor unloading induced by orthostatic stress. Journal of Neurophysiology 111:2656-2664, 2014.
- Yoshitake Y, Takai Y, Kanehisa H, Shinohara M. Muscle shear modulus measured with ultrasound shear-wave elastography across a wide range of contraction intensity. Muscle & Nerve 50:103-113, 2014.
- Salman M, Sabra KG, Shinohara M. Assessment of muscle stiffness using a continuously scanning laser-Doppler vibrometer. Muscle & Nerve 50:133-135, 2014.
- Huo X, Johnson AN, Ghovanloo M, Shinohara M. Motor performance of tongue with a computer integrated system under different levels of background physical exertion. Ergonomics 56:1733-1744, 2013.
- Yoshitake Y, Shinohara M. Oscillations in motor unit discharge are reflected in the low-frequency component of rectified surface EMG and the rate of change in force. Experimental Brain Research 231:267-276, 2013.
- Maher RM, Hayes DM, Shinohara M. Quantification of dry-needling and posture effects on myofascial trigger points using ultrasound shear-wave elastography. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 94:2146-2150, 2013.
- Kurita Y, Shinohara M, Ueda J. Wearable sensorimotor enhancer for fingertip using stochastic resonance effect. IEEE Transactions on Human-Machine Systems 43:333-337, 2013.
- Yoshitake Y, Shinohara M. Low-frequency component of rectified EMG is temporally correlated with force and instantaneous rate of force fluctuations during steady contractions. Muscle & Nerve 47:577-584, 2013.
- Buharin VE, Butler AJ, Rajendra JK, Shinohara M. Enhanced corticospinal excitability with physiologically heightened sympathetic nerve activity. Journal of Applied Physiology 114:429-435, 2013.
- Johnson AN, Shinohara M. Corticomuscular coherence with and without additional task in the elderly. Journal of Applied Physiology 112:970-981, 2012.
- Johnson AN, Huo X, Ghovanloo M, Shinohara M. Dual-task motor performance with a tongue-operated assistive technology compared with hand operations. Journal of NeuroEngineering and Rehabilitation 9:1, 2012.
- Archer A, Atangcho P, Sabra KG, Shinohara M. Propagation direction of natural mechanical oscillations in the biceps brachii muscle during voluntary contraction. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology 22: 51-59, 2012
- Shinohara M. Adaptations in motor unit behavior in elderly adults. Current Aging Science 4: 200-208, 2011
- Johnson AN, Wheaton LA, Shinohara M. Attenuation of corticomuscular coherence with additional motor or non-motor task. Clinical Neurophysiology 122:356-363, 2011
- Shinohara M, Sabra K, Gennisson J-L, Fink M, Tanter M. Real-time visualization of muscle stiffness distribution with ultrasound shear wave imaging during muscle contraction. Muscle & Nerve 42: 438-441, 2010.
- Ueda J, Ming D, Krishnamoorthy V, Shinohara M, Ogasawara T. Individual muscle control using an exoskeleton robot for muscle function testing. IEEE Transactions on Neural and Rehabilitation Systems Engineering 18: 339-350, 2010.